Architecture: innovation and heritage
Doctorate instituted by Argonauti, consortium between Roma Tre University and Polytechnic University of Bari.
Amministrative location: Polytechnic University of Bari
Coordinator: Prof. Elisabetta Pallottino
The PhD objective is to form an expert specialized in the problems of ancient, modern and contemporary architecture; these problems regard the design and the building at the different scalar dimensions,Â the environmental and the economic sustainability, energy conservation, maintenance and management, etc.
The field of interests of this PhD is architecture, precisely the architecture design which:
– today and in our country in particular, has among its principal concerns the comprehension and the appreciation of the built heritage, but also its revitalisation, actualisation, innovation and reinsertion in a context of uses, cultural necessities and activities, present and future
– is set in a wide field of disciplinary interactions, not strictly assigned in a compartment and not at all static, but physiologically in development.
Consequently, the definition of the doctorate field is thematic, therefore its teachings and its researches are organised in three curricula – relevant to the themes – that reflect rigorously the contribution that the various disciplines can offer in the development of the architecture design:
- Building culture. This curriculum examines the architecture project in its developing interactions with scientific, technical, and tools related acquisitions and researches. The new techniques of survey and evaluation allow a more precise knowledge of the consistency of the construction and of its interaction with environment. The technical and scientific evolution provided new methods, models and materials, allowing a better comprehension of the structural behaviour and a more efficient intervention for the appreciation, promotion, enhancement, of the heritage: thus, the innovation should be searched in the same designing approach.
- The philological design. In this curriculum the architecture project:
- Is oriented to the comprehension and the interpretation of the language and the techniques of the built heritage, aiming to its enhancement, conservation, revitalisation, and reinsertion in a context of usages, cultural necessities and activities, present and future.
- Simultaneously is analysed from a history of architecture perspective, according to the different variations, from the historic research to the studies for the heritage enhancement and conservation, to the knowledge eventualities still active and potential.
- Design in ancient country. In this curriculum, the architecture project is oriented to comply the research and the aesthetic innovation â€“ functional and constructive, imposed by the contemporary necessity – with the appreciation and the rediscovery of the deep meaning of the historical stratifications, hidden in the territory and in the city.
Landscape of the contemporary city. Policies, techniques and visual studies
Coordinator: Prof Paolo Desideri
Selection announcement for the 32nd cycle of PhD
Deadline for online application: Thursday 7th July 2016, 2 pm
The study and research object of this PhD in Landscapes of the Contemporary City is the city, as a union of material and social connections, spatial shapes and communicative forms.
The doctorate aims to produce advanced studies and researches about the inventing reading of the urban and territorial phaenomena, the architecture and landscape design for the contemporary city and the development and the interpretation of the visual devices â€“ and their related productions – , starting with the cinema and in its current variations of technical reproducibility. Its main purpose is to shape researchers who will be able to decipher and comprehend the city spaces in their most current expressions; anticipate sceneries and transformation process; intervene effectively in the heart of the transformations regarding the city and the landscapes. Particularly the doctorate shapes towards the research and builds theoretical and practical professional figures â€“ through forms of research/action â€“ in the following areas:
– Design and evaluation of territorial politics, plans and programs;
– Architectural and landscape design and urban space construction;
– Technology innovation for the architecture and urban regeneration project;
– Analysis and development of the production in the cinematographic, mass media and show business fields;
– Analysis and development of the contents for the new generation network.
The doctorate is formulated in two curricula:
1) Architectures of urban landscape. The curriculum focuses on three fundamental areas of interest regarding the necessary instruments to build landscape of the contemporary city:
– Urban studies
– Urban space design
– Architecture, urban regeneration, technology innovation.
2) Cinema and visual culture. The curriculum concerns â€“ in an interdisciplinary perspective â€“ the development of the visual culture in the XX century and in the present, in its relationships with the metropolitan culture and the landscape, relating to the cinema, the live entertainment, the audio-visual media and the contents that cross the new generation network.
International doctorate of architecture Villard dâ€™Honnecourt
The doctorate has an itinerant structure, consisting of many annual seminars â€“ that take place in a single location – and of a formative activity led by an international teaching staff and by a scientific committee composed by personalities coming from different disciplinal fields. Every three-years doctorate deals with one general theme related to the questions come up from the international architecture debate.
The PhD is developed in collaboration with:
IUAV Venezia (location of the coordination)
Department of Architecture of Pescara
Department of Architecture of Roma Tre
Department of Architecture of Ascoli Piceno
Department of Architecture of Napoli Federico II