Urban connections following the ancient route of the via Latina: five pathways
The issue focuses on the ancient route of the via Latina, limited to the roman urban area (from Porta Capena to the Park of the Aqueducts), in order to state its continuity as infrastructural axes of the territorial system. Analysing the historical iconography and the urban planning documents of Rome as well, it is clear that until the fifties of the XXth century, the via Latina was still somehow visible. Only starting from the sixties the road has been more and more swallowed by the extremely violent urban proliferation regarding the Southeast area of Rome, permanently losing its original function. However, between Porta Capena, the Park of the Latin Mausoleums, the spontaneous settlement of Tor Fiscale and the Park of the Aqueducts, the ancient route appears here and there as a topographic trajectory, a straight barely visible in the suburb landscape.
Against the backdrop of this city (extended, degraded but full of life and resources) the epic panoramas of via Appia, of the Caffarella valley and the continuous succession of aqueducts stand out: an â€śepicâ€ť context where you can find protected areas, spared by constructions, which extend from suburbs to the monumental roman centre. This system composed by natural paths represents an important chance to balance and structure entire urban areas.
Briefly, the goal is to develop a general system plan and to define five principal areas of intervention for the urban recovery:
- Recovery and valorisation of the area around Porta Capena, origin and end of the ancient route and its organic reconnection to the Central Archaeological Area;
- Reconnection of the ancient via Latina among the Caffarella Park, the Park of the Latin Mausoleums and via Arco di Travertino;
- Landscape-archaeological recovery and valorisation of the Park of the Latin Mausoleums and of Villa Demetriade;
- Urban requalification (Integrated Recovery Plan) of the Tor Fiscale neighbourhood;
- Reconnection of the Appio Claudio neighbourhood with the Park of the Aqueducts in relation to the urban axes of viale Palmiro Togliatti.